I’m retooling this from my archives. It’s inspired by Girl Child, who has been singing “Someone Like You” by Adele for weeks. It should be noted, she’s not moping, she just has the song stuck in her head. It reminded me of the days of having songs stuck in my head accompanied by moping.
SubMommy’s Top 5 Teenage Moping Songs. With Commentary.
I was GOOD at moping. I started moping early, and moped long. My room, walkman, boom box, whatever – lots of rewind, replay, rewind, replay. My poor parents.
The Heart of the Matter by Don Henley. Technically I was 20, but it was one of the last great moping songs of my moping history. I had evolved.
5. The Winner Takes It All by ABBA. Before I really knew what moping was, I was moping to this gem. Imagine 11 year old SubMommy actually MOPING to ABBA. Told you I was good at moping. Apparently it came naturally to me.
4. Against All Odds by Phil Collins. Ever have one of those crushes that the person didn’t even know you were alive – like, probably never even actually laid eyes on you? I moped over THAT guy to this one. Apparently I had nothing better to do. And I really hope I’m not the only person in the world who just admitted that she had a crush on a guy who never actually TALKED to her. Cut me a little slack, here, I was 13.
3. No One Is To Blame by Howard Jones. Because, really, is ANYONE to blame? Wait, don’t answer that.
2. Hands To Heaven by Breathe. You know, you go off to college, you leave someone behind, it’s hard to adjust, you mope. A LOT.
And my number 1:
1. Circle by Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians. Does it get any mopier than “I quit….I give up….” ?